D has his first ever snow day today and he is devastated! I know---this attitude won't last forever. But it is his week to bring the class snack. We made a big shopping trip yesterday to purchase his carefully thought out class treats (such as raspberries, because it's "R" week), and he was looking forward to it with great anticipation. It's not looking good for tomorrow either.
Whether he knows it or not, the snow day is harder on me than on him. This blizzard week seems spread in front of us like the Atlantic at the beginning of a trans-oceanic voyage. A smart mommy would have included a stop at the library and video store along with the grocery outing yesterday.
But here we are, quite possibly looking at an entire week without school, too cold and windy to play outdoors, too treacherous to venture to our favorite venues.....I believe this week H will get caught up on sleep and D & M will learn the meaning of the phrase "cabin fever."
I decided by 10 AM today I had better embrace this for the gift it is. In a few more years, a snow day will mean I'll be trying to drag the kids out of bed at 10AM and then they will just play X-Box until dinner. As it is, a snow day for the current "us" holds great potential.
We built a tent city (honestly, you cannot see the ceiling from any part of our living room floor). We wrote and illustrated our own story book. We made 3 kinds of sweet bread for the freezer, and a batch of cookies is on the after-nap agenda. The kids helped me mop (it turned out to be great fun for them, and a very shiny kitchen floor for me). I taught D how to fold laundry. M was our sock delivery service. We even had hot chocolate for lunch (because it just looked cold outside).
If it keeps up, I think a Hawaiian luau is in order for tomorrow. I might just have to dig out our summer clothes....maybe even have a swimming party in the big jacuzzi tub....make a pineapple upside down cake and wear sunglasses and leis all day long.
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, you are SO RIGHT about embracing snow days now while they are young because sooner than you blink your eyes, you will be dragging them out of bed, BUT they still love to bake cookies and help with dinner! They also provide interesting conversations along with kitchen duties.
ReplyDelete