They packed their suitcases....I mean STUFFED them with everything from their dressers. When they brought them down we reviewed the contents, which allowed some good Q&A like Momma: "Where are we going?"
D: "On a cruise, like Grammy!"
D: "On a cruise, like Grammy!"
Momma: "Then why did you pack sweatshirts and long pants?"
M: "Because it's cold!"
Momma: "Do you know where Grammy's cruise is going? Grammy is in the Caribbean, it's warm there." We looked at a map, the proximity of the islands to the equator and D explained to M quite knowledgably about the temperature variance between here and there. "In fact," I added, "I bet Grammy is wearing her swimsuit today."
And up the stairs tore 4 little feet, second later returning waving swimsuits over their heads like pirates proudly displaying the Jolly Roger. I asked what else you would need on a sunny vaca, and they thought sunglasses. We found some leis in the Halloween box, and they were ready to start the festivities.
For the rest of the week they asked me about cruises..."What do they eat for lunch on a cruise?" so we had pineapple for dessert. "Who drives the ship?" so we appointed D captain and made him a badge. "Does it hurt the fish when the ship sails over them?" so we watched Finding Nemo to find out. "Can you jump off the ship to go swimming?" I don't recommend it, but the ships have several pools...so we decided to check out our ship's pool (also known as the big jacuzzi tub). They donned their swimming suits and splashed for almost 2 hours.
Later, D wanted to go snorkeling. We don't actually own snorkel equipment, or I'd have let them try in the tub. D suggested bendy straws....awesome imagination! To make it more interesting, I thought we needed some fish to look at so I outlined some generic sea life shapes on a loooong piece of butcher paper and let them paint it. That was a 2 hour activity in itself, and I can't even tell you how long, or how many times they snorkeled....
We had popsicles. We sat in lawn chairs and read books. We observed the ship's "mandatory afternoon rest period" and retired in our "cabins" for an after lunch snooze. D & M put on an evening stage show for me. (It was titled "The Beanie Baby Show" and starred lots of tiny stuffed friends.) We even had a buffet lunch one day and a waiter served fancy lunch another day, for which we all dressed up in our nice clothes.
They are already planning our next snow day. They want to go to Disney World. That might be a bit more challenging to create at home....With any luck I'll have untill next winter to plan that one.
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteThese are so precious. What great memories and I love, love, love the imaginations!
Rachel
gosh you are good! i can only hope i am half this good in my motherhood adventure!
ReplyDelete