Sometimes I think D was born holding a book. His reading ability continues to amaze me. From the first time that I realized he could pick up a new book and read it without help (about a year ago--at 4 yrs 4 months), I knew God had given him a very special gift. Language in general is his forte...and early talker, a big vocabulary, and now reading.
I like to challenge him, see what he can read and actually comprehend. I love picking out new books at the library and having him read them to me. Then I quiz his comprehension. My favorite part, though, is how he reads with such animation. If you have listened to many young kids read, you know it's rather monotonous. Not so with D. All of his characters have unique voices and amazing facts are read with great emphasis. That is the benefit of having two highly animated parents, I guess!
On days he doesn’t go to preschool he takes a "quite time" in his room while the girls nap. Often during that time he builds legos or reads. Last week I happened upon him sprawled on his bed reading a chapter out of "Little House in the Bog Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. (one of my personal favorites, by the way!) He was honestly reading it. Flabbergasted once again, I listened to him read with full understanding, sounding out the few words he didn't know. The best part, though, was that I couldn't drag him away from it. Nap time was over, he walked down the stairs still reading, snack time began and he brought the book to the table...
More than his ability, though, I am delighted for his love of reading. Long may it continue!
No comments:
Post a Comment