Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Delivery Day


Well, today turned out to be delivery day for our shipment. The kids were so excited their Portuguese lesson was a mess.....no one could concentrate. I can't really blame them. They've been so good about it for the past 5 weeks, regularly remembering a favorite thing from the US and asking if it is in the shipment. As long as I said yes, they never fussed about wanting it sooner, or wishing they'd brought it in a suitcase, etc. I have been amazed at how patiently they've waited for this.

So today I took out two boxes, the ones each kid packed for themselves. The rest will wait until tomorrow, the next day, the next week. The kids think they are in heaven. I can't bare to send them to school today, so we are taking a "personal day," taking the day off to play, play, play and maybe go for ice cream to celebrate! I never thought I'd be the parent to let my kids "play hookie" but this is Brazil and the rules are different here, at least they are for me.

I'm actually a little embarrassed, looking at D's room full of toys spread out like a toy store after a tornado. Although I've been very excited about downsizing and living with less chaos and clutter here in Brazil, when we were packing I had a hard time leaving some certain things behind. I felt bad for the kids for a large amount of toys that we could not bring. Now I cannot imagine why on Earth we need all the things we brought. It seems over the top. They noticed too....I've heard them talking with each other this morning about the massive amount of toys they never even knew they had. We were hoping to be changed in this way here. So why am I surprised that we are?

Our Total Shipment (except the bed, which belongs to the house)

No comments:

Post a Comment