The Festa Junina is a pretty big deal. I tried to figure out when the actual holiday is, but as far as I can tell it's just a long celebration. It's technically the celebration of St. John, but as far as I've heard, it's really a big party to make fun of hillbillies. So....what are we teaching our kids? I guess nothing worse than Halloween, if you look at the root of it.
There is a big festival at the school on July 7, and we're invited to a party this weekend where we are encouraged to dress in costume. I really love (sarcasm) how the school sent home a note 2 days ago saying the kids would have a party at school today, to send the kids in costumes and with traditional food. Humm....not a lot of resources, not a lot of language. Luckily, I had a (private) Portuguese lesson yesterday and I changed the lesson plan to be everything Festa Junina. We worked out a plan for food and costumes I could pull together easily. I rummaged through our closets for what was close enough. I spent a total of $4.25 on the hat, some ribbon and fake flowers. I used a little lipstick and an eye pencil. Voila! I think it turned out pretty well. See below the internet example I found and my finished product.


No comments:
Post a Comment