Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Back to the tour-- "The Office"

Because we desire a separate bedroom for each of our kids, we are hard pressed here and in the States to find a house with an actual office.  We turned this entry way into our office, and it serves to be a great place/use.  This is just off the living and dining rooms, and is a great place to quick google-translate a kid's note from a teacher, pull the family around to skype (video call) with Grandma, or watch home videos of when the kids were even younger.  I am also a firm believer in computer in public space of the home.  It is far easier to keep an eye on what little hands are clicking on.

We bought this bookcase (one of several we have) with our furniture allowance.  Book cases are very important and often used items in our household.  I adore this one, and wish I could take it home with us.

In this picture, you can also see the 1/2 bath we have on the main level. 

Unfortunately, this beautiful 2-step staircase has produced more than one tumble for a little one, and at the bottom is hard tile.  H has actually chipped a front tooth here in Brasil (she learned to walk here), and M seems to have a tooth with a (much smaller) chip as well.  Blessedly, they are baby teeth and will be replaced eventually anyway.

I think we've always been rather thrifty, but here we have taken it to a new level.  I save all kinds of things, empty containers make great storage for small toys, the once used length of string is carefully wound and put aside for a future purpose.  I'm not sure I'll be able to find more in this town the next time I need it!  Not bad habits, just ones my generation has forgotten all about.  In the States, we live in a world of excess.  We have rubber maid tubs, we have wal-mart.  Here, we use an empty pistachio can to hold our ink pens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment