Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Big Brother


As D finished his first year in American school, it gave me pause.  As of this week, he is officially promoted to Third Grade.  He's eight years old....how does that happen so fast?  He is my baby no longer.  I used to kid them that I never want them to grow up, but each glorious new day and every delightful stage of his life have been one I would not exchange.  He can be so serious, so goofy, so head-strong, and so loving.

I asked him what his favorite subject is.  He asked me if "silent reading" counts as a subject.  He is a reader....like I've never seen.  Good for him.  He has been on so many fantastic adventures between the pages of some phenomenal books.  In my daily prayers I always offer prayers of thanksgiving, and along side the things you'd expect, like my family, health, etc, I thank God for the American public library system.  It is so easy to feed his brain.  I asked him what he likes to learn, and he said "anything."  I just about melted.  I love that he loves to learn.  So few moms of boys are as lucky.

He really is interested in just about everything.  Right now he's learning more about Tae Kwon Do, early American history, and multiplication.  He's reading 5+ books at the moment, The Legend of King Arthur, Robin Hood, The Big Book of What, Moby Dick (again), and a Lego book, that I know of.  He has an equal amount of Lego scenes set up in various points in our house.  Given a $20 bill and a toy store, without a doubt he'd buy Legos.

He's a picky eater, but he loves Mexican food and raspberries.  He misses Brazil....mainly because they have half-day school, and we had some really amazing vacations there...like zip-lining in the rainforest.  He's pious, serious about his faith.  He's respectful, helpful, and has a good heart.

And I can't help but wonder, who will he be in another 8 years?  Or another 18?

I asked him.  He thinks maybe a farmer or an engineer.  (Do you think perhaps that is based on some very close role models?)

No comments:

Post a Comment