Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant. --Robert Louis StevensonThis is like my motherhood mantra this time around. I think I pretty well held it together with the other babies. I showered every day, I ironed the clothes, I mopped the floor. (I posted on the blog!) These days I consider a spilled cup a favor...a paper towel and a minute on my knees and I have at least one clean spot on my kitchen floor...and I'm getting pretty good at calling a shirt "good enough" before it ever hits the ironing board.
Honestly, while I've adjusted some of my standards, I hope I am focusing more on the things that count. It's not always easy to do, but sometimes I just stop and watch my little ones. They are amazing, unique, spirited little talkers and they hardly ever slow down. They have great smiles and give amazing hugs (and sometimes a little bit of attitude). They teach me so much. I try to be worthy of all I have received from them.
This year I've been doing things differently. I'm a work in progress, but it seems I have so few minutes with them (especially the school-aged ones). I am trying to make every minute count. I am doing my best to only use words that are uplifting, teaching, loving, modeling, and meaningful. I try to talk less and listen more. I'm working on looking them in the eye when they talk to me. I hold their hands because I love them. I sometimes watch them sleep. I hold them in my arms because I still can. I imagine what they will tell their children. I tell them that I pray for them (this came as kind of a shock to a few of them!). I tell them that they are great, wonderful, that they make me happy.
Striving to plant the seeds of unconditional love....1,440 minutes a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment