Somewhere between DaddyHealy's MBA classes, my extreme morning sickness with H's pregnancy and moving to the Big River, at 4 years old D learned how to read. We have always read to him a lot, we have often pointed to words as we read them, but we had never, ever tried to "teach" him how to read on his own. Then one day in my hyperemesis oblivion, I noticed he picked up an Easter book he hadn't seen in a year and read it straight through. I was in awe. Ironically, a few days later when I dropped him off at preschool his teacher asked me if I knew he was reading. I asked if they'd been working on it at preschool and she laughed. They were still working on ABCs she told me.
He has a brilliant mind, just like his father. I like to bring home books from the library and see how much of them he can read the first time he sees them.
Here are a few examples of books he's read to me the first time through....at 4 years old!

I'm tutoring a SEVENTH grader who can't read this well! Good for Daniel! I wonder what's next?
ReplyDeleteNuclear engineering I imagine....
ReplyDelete