Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Big Kids

Our blue-eyed girl is getting longer curls. It must be the sun, or the diet or maybe just her age, but I cannot believe how long it is now. Isn't she a sweetie? I would say of all of us, she's having the biggest adjustment issues, although she is unaware of it. Her words say she loves it here and everything about our lives right now. Her unconscious is struggling, though. We are not perfect parents. We don't understand all her issues, and we don't have unending patience, but we do our best to comfort, cuddle, love, reassure.


He is growing up so fast. This is last year's Halloween costume, and the very first thing he did when he opened his box from the shipment was put it on. He's still reading all-the-time. I have to pry books out of his hands to eat, get dressed, clean up, put on shoes, or whatever. Maybe it's his comfort, his constant. We've recently found out he gets car sick, and the streets in our fine town are not exactly a smooth ride, so books have been banned from the car. At home, though, he reads on. One of his favorite "books" at the moment is the Lego catalog. I'm not kidding. He reads it thoroughly, cover to cover, every few days. He knows the names of sets and characters from movies we'd never consider showing him (Star Wars, Harry Potter) because he's memorized the details from the Lego sets. He likes to play a little game with the magazine...guess which set on this page is my favroite. He would play it on all 72 pages of the catalog if he could find someone to sit with him that long. He apparently needs more reading material. He has no idea how hard I worked before we left to anticipate his reading level for the next two years. There are many things that are scarce here in Brazil and Horizontina (tortillas!) but books in English have to be at the top of the list. I have a stash. I cannot wait to cuddle and read. That thought actually makes me miss winter. Well, maybe not yet.

1 comment:

  1. Love seeing your new dwellings! We have been praying for you! Will you send me your new email and address? Somehow your card got misplaced in this big house :) Not sure how that would happen! Take care! Rachel Boden

    ReplyDelete