Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fruit+Labor+Love

We've been talking about sayings as a part of our homeschool curriculum. (Daddy's car was not really yellow and oval shaped, but it was indeed "a lemon"). As much as possible I like to find real daily life examples for our learning. I was explaining what the "fruit of one's labor" meant, DaddyHealy's paycheck, for example...the chocolate chip cookies after an afternoon of measuring, mixing, and cleaning up. But those are not fruit, D demanded. Stating confidently, "It's more like making Apple Butter." I could not disagree. Apple butter, by way of a famous family recipe, is one of the things we've been missing. I stashed 1 (rather large) jar into our luggage, but it's long since gone. It's good on toast, on a peanut butter sandwich, but our favorite is mixed in oatmeal.
I have no food mill here, nor other canning tools. I do, however, have an empty, clean pickle jar, apples, cloves, cinnamon, sugar, and surejel. So we set to work on a "Labor of Love" peeling, coring, cutting, cooking, mixing, guessing, (tasting), cooking more and then enjoying the "Fruit of our Labor." It has to be the smallest batch on record, and we didn't process it (no tools, no need--it will be gone in a week). Bless recipes like this, we feel at home.
The Fruit of our Labor:

No comments:

Post a Comment