If you're anything like me, after you stop laughing hysterically, you are saying, "You are riding that to work every day?" When DaddyHealy told me he was buying a moto, I was thinking something intended for riding on the roads, something with a little power, not a dirt bike. He very defensively educated me that this is not a dirt bike, it's a cross-over. It also happens to have a speedometer that doesn't work, plenty of rust and on occasion it shorts out and won't start. But look at her. What's not to love?!
Teasing aside, it gets him to and from work, and he never drives over 60 kph on that route anyway. It gets phenomenal gas mileage, which is important because we pay something like US$6.35 per gallon. It's also the only "second car" we have. I am not at all surprised, but a little ashamed to say it is far too difficult for our family of 5 to survive with only one set of wheels.
So, do me the favor, and picture our Daddy dressed up in his slacks and button down shirt, climbing onto this monster and riding the roads of our fine town. I really need to photograph it for you, but if your imagination is telling you it looks a little absurd, you are right. Not as absurd, though, as another father on a motorcycle who also has his 8 year old daughter in her school uniform skirt and pink Hello Kitty backpack holding on behind.
Is it even legal for a kid to ride on a motorcycle in the US? The up side, helmets are required here. The down side, nobody drives particularly "safe" by American standards. At least our Daddy is an experienced motorcycle driver, and one of the safest drivers I know.
Oh, and I'm sure he'd have me mention that a bike like this is really better suited for the roads here anyway. A majority of them are made by hand laying pieces of stone. Big stones, sharp stones. Not exactly a smooth ride. For reference, here's a picture of our street and my foot for scale.
I'm not kidding. That is what our roads are made of.

I'm not kidding. That is what our roads are made of.
And to give you a better idea of the size of this mean machine, here is The Tornado and its fan club.

No comments:
Post a Comment