Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Argentina Falls

 
If the Brazilian side of the falls has all the beauty (see yesterday's photos) the Argentinian side has all the drama.  I hesitate to say it's "better," but for the active family, it probably is.  The Argentina side of the falls may not give you amazing panoramic views, but it gives you an appreciation for the power of the falls.  The miles of winding paths take you along the top and the bottom of the falls where you can see, feel and hear the rushing water up close and personal.  Oh, and there is an adorable little train to take you from one walking path to another...a real bonus if you are toting a crowd under the age of 10.
You cannot even imagine how lush and green it is, and I have yet to see a picture or even a postcard that does it justice.  I've never seen more rainbows in my life.  The beauty of having miles of trails to cover is that even though it is summer/tourist season, we were never crowded..there is enough room for everyone as we all wander at our own pace along the trails. 
 
This is H and I at the lookout over the powerful "Devil's Throat," a portion of the falls where all the drama lies. Water rushes down in a horseshoe shape at a massive rate causing the roar, mist and spray you might expect if you were going to a world famous waterfall. I don't think it can be appreciated by photo, but it's one of the few pics we have of H awake on this trip.
 
Some of the paths walk you on expanded metal grate paths right over the rushing falls, some through jungle and over the water, but all give you opportunity to pause and thank God that in those first 7 days He could even fathom making something as amazing as this for us to enjoy.

 
 

The way the trails are split up in Argentina allows the weary tourist to opt out of a path in favor of an ice cream. On this particularly steamy January day, that meant everyone but DaddyHealy took a break in lieu of tackling the 300+ steps and miles of the "lower trail." Maybe I'll regret it later, but I was having a "been there, done that" moment and at the time something cool and refreshing was much more appealing. While we were relaxing in the (non-air conditioned) snack bar, DaddyHealy was standing at the base of this amazing fall getting refreshed in mind, body and spirit.
 
On a side note, my gratitude to DaddyHealy who was official family photographer on this trip, providing us lasting memories and blog-worthy material.

No comments:

Post a Comment