Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The First Day


This week is the first week of school here. (Remember northern friends that we are just finishing up summer vacation.)  We didn't have much time to dwell on it because we've had guests for the past 5 weeks (and if you are religiously checking the blog for pictures of Grandma, I promise they are coming next) and suddenly summer is over and school has begun.

Over the weekend we started mentally preparing for the start of school.  I mentioned that this was to be their last first day of school in Brazil, because by the time next school year rolls around, we'll be back living in the States.  We also talked about how this is M's first first day of kindergarten, because once we go back to the US she will start kindergarten all over again and have another first day.  No wonder they are confused.

Here are a few other Brazilian school firsts:



First day of school-Feb 2012
First day of school in Brazil-Oct 2011
We've seen a lot of changes....They're taller, they speak Portuguese, the school adopted a new uniform, the kids have matured and they learn in a whole new way now.  I think back to the beginning, even the beginning of last school year...the stress and anxiety, occasional tears and frustrations, prayers for an easy adjustment and friends.  Adjusted isn't even a word I think about now.  Life here is just life.  School here is all they know.  Outside of church run preschools, none of ours have been in a US school.

There will be many more firsts, but I am certain that this first day will stand out in my mind for years to come.  Both had a list of friends they couldn't wait to catch up with and ideas about what activities they hoped for on their first day.  When I picked them up, it was all smiles, and "Can we stay a little longer so I can play with my friends?" and "Do I get to come back tomorrow?" 

I am proud of them and all they have accomplished here.  I love the flexibility and tolerance they've developed for themselves and other people.  They have coping mechanisms they didn't have when we left the States, and they've also learned the importance of family.  School here might be light on the core curriculum compared to the US, but I need to remind myself that it is very heavy on the soft skills of development.  Hugs are doled out by the dozens, kids are taught to love, to express feelings, to share themselves through various art forms and that every person matters.  Although my standards have been adjusted, my hopes for this school year are high.  Maybe that's because I've finally figured out what to hope for.


No comments:

Post a Comment