Monday, February 25, 2013

Return to Iguaçu Falls

I'll admit that when my parents were planning their Brazilian trip and asked to go to Iguaçu Falls, I tried to talk them out of it.  We'd already been, and last time it took us 12 hrs in a car to get there.  Besides, we have a long list of other places we want to visit in Brazil.  But having just been to Niagara, and seeing our photos of Iguaçu, they decided they didn't want to miss it.  Once we got there, I was so glad we went again.  It's hard to explain just how overwhelming it is to be there.  The falls lie within national park on both Brazil and Argentina sides.  Not only are the falls a breathtaking view, there is very well preserved rain forest surrounding you as you weave your way through the jungle to see all the falls.  At times it seems endless.  (If you don't believe me, ask Grandpa.)  There are miles of trails and outlook points, wildlife and flora to enjoy along the way.  I am still amazed how much the kids get into this place.  It seems quite taxing on little people with short legs to do all that walking...and to see what?  Oh, look, more water spilling over rocks.  But that was not their attitude the first time and this visit was the same.  They were excited, in awe and mesmerized all over again.  We all were, really.

I was glad to give the kids an opportunity to see the falls again.  I am hoping they will remember it forever...a hard bargain for an experience so early in life.

This is a lot how I remember H enjoying the falls last time....sound asleep.
One of the walkways overlooking the falls
Looking for rainbows


 Apparently, when Eleanor Roosevelt visited the falls she said, "Poor Niagara!"   I asked my mom what she thought, having visited both within a year, and she agreed with Eleanor.  Some statistics for you: Niagara actually flows more water over the falls (about a quarter more) but Iguaçu is a third taller than Niagara.  Iguaçu is compared to Africa's Victoria Falls because it is so wide.  During high flow Victoria is the world's largest single curtain of spilling water.  Iguaçu is said to be wider, but that is in considering the 175 separate falls.  All of these falls are routes by which the single Iguaçu River spills from the upper Iguaçu to the lower Iguaçu.  Undoubtedly, Iguaçu offers the best views to enjoy God's splendor.  The national parks with walkways and the spread out nature of the falls allow it to be enjoyed.  And at one point you can view 260 degrees of falls around you.

Here are two views taken from the same spot, one up river and one down river:






1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I loved the niagara falls.....im sure this is amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete