Wednesday, May 22, 2013

60 Years of Cristo Rei

Although I haven't always been perfectly pleased with the children's school here, I am still grateful for the opportunity to have sent them here.  Cristo Rei (Christ the King) has been a large part of D & M's Brazil experience.  For the most part I have found it to be a very caring and loving place.  Even H (who does not attend the school) is called by name by the teachers, secretary, even the director.  Our children have found a home here and I am glad they will have this to remember as their first "real" school experience.
 
Recently, Cristo Rei celebrated 60 years of educating youth in Horizontina.  The children put on a program where M & class sang, D's class displayed a diorama of the school, the parish priest offered prayers of blessing and thanksgiving, and older students reenacted the history of the school.  I learned that day that Cristo Rei was originally founded by Catholic missionaries and was originally only for upper level (high school) education.  It has expanded now, accepting students from 3-4 months old (more of a day care) through high school.  I also realized anew how glad I am that my children are blessed with a school that can be overseen by a priest, anointed with holy water, and pray a novena all the while reflecting the same values at school that we try to present as foremost in our home.  To me, there is little as important as that.
 
 
M with her class and beloved Profe Marga.
 
D posing with his diorama of the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment