Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Treasure & The Rewards

Here is what I love about that treasure hunt game...

It's an excuse to play outside that doesn't require me pushing kids on the swings for 75 minutes straight.

Seriously, they had a ball, and so did I. It took only a tiny bit of planning and prework, and it occupied them for an entire afternoon. They had learning, exercise, fresh air, problem solving and fun all rolled into one. That's not that easy to come by. They surprised me with the intensity at which they played. And they asked to do it again, and again, and again.


D collected all of the green "treasure." He counted it, we played a visual adding game by showing what 2+2 and 1+3 looks like, then he asked what he can "buy" with his treasure.


M found a pile of treasure of her own. She was digging through gravel while D was busy hunting for green and kept saying "money." I thought she was playing along with the "treasure" idea, but when we got home and she emptied her little fist of her collection, I was shocked to indeed find a very old penny in her paw.

And alas, the reward for a hard afternoon of treasure hunting is, what else?..... a blue popsicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment