It also helps that our dear friends and family have been stuffing our mailbox with letters, cards, and trinkets of every sort. Mail call is by far his favorite time of day, thanks to all of you!
Bless Grammy for showing up just days after the incident. She has provided hours of attention and care for both D & M. Largely due to her, summer library reading charts were filled in record time. Also during her visit D made some moves toward self reliance, learning to scoot and stretch. Oh, and she's also done all our laundry and ironing, cleaning and weeding too. Meanwhile, I have mostly done errands and nap!
This is his prize for finishing the library reading program. Honestly, 6 hours of reading has resulted in 60 hours of fun with this truck set! The program gives kids a choice, a crisp $5 bill, or a prize from the case. D loves cash, but this was far better, and couldn't have come at a more perfect time. After bringing home his prize, he moved from his "throne" for the first time to sit on the floor and play with this set. It was a huge step for him, as he'd been previously opposed to moving from his chair for fear of pain. I love the look on his face in this picture, as if "can you believe they gave me this!"
I picked these gems up at the library this week and they have also kept my little patient very busy. The are seek and find books like the "Where's Waldo" series, but with familiar characters. Some are really tough and it amazes me that he will spend the time to really work at it and find the solution. He's also gotten in the mail some preschool/kindergarten workbooks which have been just great at exercising his mind while the rest of him takes a break. He loves these books! I wonder how long the infatuation with learning will last and I am imagining a 6th grader who comes home from school and passes up the fresh baked cookies I just made because (Hurrah!) he has science homework tonight! Yahoo! (I can dream, can't I?)
No comments:
Post a Comment