Saturday, August 21, 2010

Eavesdropping

I have to admit, one of my favorite things to do is listen to DaddyHealy reading to our children. He gets so animated (which, if you know him, is no surprise). Each individual character comes alive with a voice all of his own. If a non-fiction book is on the agenda, he adds additional information, or in some cases corrects the author's slightly off base descriptions. If given a choice, the kids will take a book to him over me 10 out of 10 times. And do they ever. This evening M climbed on his lap with 3 books. Not to be outdone, D perused the bookshelf and loaded up no less than 9 books and scooted over to Dad's chair for some book reading too. And he read them all, all 12 books right in a row.

On the occasion that DaddyHealy takes over the bedtime routine, I have been known to turn on the baby monitor to "listen in" on the book reading and conversation that takes place. It is a great time of day for discussions of the days events. I love to hear what D has to say and how DaddyHealy responds and it melts my heart he cares so much about the minute details of a 4 year old's life. I'm not saying the kids usually get to bed on time when Daddy does the routine, but what wonderful, quality time. He will let them talk until they run out of things to say...something I never seem to have the patience for. It reminds me of one of the reasons I fell in love with him in the first place. He cares, he truly cares, more about what you have to say than what was left on his to-do list for the day. Oh how God blessed me....a talker....with a listening ear who is always there for me, for all 3 of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment