Thursday, June 18, 2009

On my Morning Run...

I am pretty sure I had my most surprising morning run on Tuesday.

Monday night we had a good prairie storm, 70mph winds, as much as 4" of rain and plenty of hail. I spent the better part of a 3 hour power outage holding one kid or another trying to get them to go back to sleep. But back to my run, I considered skipping it the next morning, but still basking in the beauty of solitude, I headed out. I was not surprised to see branches down everywhere, but our mailbox?! So if you were expecting some mail from me, it might have blown away.
I ran through "raging water" as high as the ankle of my shoe, but otherwise it was a most pleasant run. Then I got back on our lane and was really blown away. I encountered dozens of crawfish wandering about! I am not kidding! (They were probably there on my way out, but it's not quite dawn yet at 5:30) I never in my life expected to see a crawfish out here on the prairie. There were enough for a good creole supper, if you are in to that type of thing. DaddyHealy suggested I gather up the kiddos and take them "crawfishing," however, we opted for puddle jumping instead.

One of several crawfish on our lane.

Another little guy swimming in the stream that once was our road.

No comments:

Post a Comment