We have a tradition here in our house, the kiddos and I start our day with a good morning dance. Each kid has their own song, we dance & sing and then get on with the day's business. It really started back with I was pregnant with M, one of the things D & I did every day was dance to my Taylor Swift CD. After M was born, life changed a bit for us all and we kind of forgot about it.
I've been reading "The Five Love Languages of Children," by Gary Chapman (I am a big fan of his book on marriage "The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate"). In the children book, Chapman makes mention of the importance of spending quality time with your children, and how giving it first, before other tasks, will fill up their love tank and satisfy their neediness (at least temporarily). D has had a lot of neediness lately, so I have been making an effort to fill both kids' love tanks first, then do my household chores. One way was buy bringing back the Good Morning Dance. It gives us quality time, focused, one-on-one attention, physical touch and it's good exercise! And indeed, it's the perfect start a good morning.
We still dance to Taylor Swift, and D's song is called "Stay Beautiful." It's really a love song, but it's peppy and it suits us. Some of the lyrics:
"You're beautiful, every little piece love,
Don't you know, you're really gonna' be someone,
Ask anyone"
I can easily see the profound effects of this bit of time, really 3 1/2 minutes each morning. He gives me peace to tend to his sister, make coffee & breakfast, etc. Also, I've overheard him sitting on the potty singing this song at the top of his lungs, and I've seen him doing the dance moves we do while dancing to other music. It's important to him, it's wonderful for me, and it is definitely a tradition I intend to keep up (until he starts rolling his eyes and saying, "common mom, I'm in junior high! none of my friend's moms make them dance!")
As for M, she just grins and giggles, so I know she enjoys her dance too.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment