Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Wind in my Face

This is not meant to be a bold statement about my strong dedication or superior athletic ability or speed. Simply, I have (finally) started running again, and out here on the Prairie, if you are running outside, you have the wind in your face. It really doesn't seem to matter if you are headed North, South, East or West. Somehow the wind is always blowing.....against you!

It's not that I haven't been running at all, but mostly on the treadmill and quite inconsistently. We made a pact, though, DaddyHealy and me, 3 mornings each a week. And I know if I am not out of bed by 5:15, I'll get a poke in the ribs. Besides, I don't want him to show me up by racking up more hours at the gym than I do on the road. So I get up and, as usual, as soon as I'm headed down this gravel path, I am glad I did.

I forgot how totally different and refreshing outdoor running can be. Since month 4 of my last pregnancy, I've opted for the treadmill 98% of the time. (I can do it during naptime, weather is a non-issue) But being outside, especially in the wee hours, is good for clearing the head, centering yourself, and talking with God. I've missed it, and I didn't even realize it until I started back up again. It gives me a chance to be more than wife and mommy, a chance to take care of myself, focus on me and spend some sweet, quiet time alone. Oh, how refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment