Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Girl

There are an awful lot of reasons why I love this girl, and surprisingly, they have little to do with just how completely adorable she is.  Granted, I do love the ringlet curl piggy tails, I love how 'Little House on the Prairie' she looks when she wears braids.  I love that when I look at her, I am reminded of the gorgeous face and deep blue eyes that initially drew me to my husband.  But, those are reasons so very minor in the big picture of my amazing little girl.
She is a very dedicated little person.  When she decides on a path (for better or for worse) she carries it through.    She stands up for kids in her class when they are being picked on.  She adores H (when they're not fighting) and loves to play "mommy" or "teacher" to her.  She is very dedicated to animals.  She adores dogs.  She loves pink, and when she grows up she's either going to be a princess, or a dog, or maybe a dog princess.  Although her actions don't always reflect it, she loves Jesus passionately.  She remembers very little in the way of details and things about the US, but people are deeply imbedded in her mind.  She has shown the most stress out of our 3 kids over the changes we've experienced in moving here, but she has also been the most accepting.  She'll try anything and she's not afraid of something new.
 
She loves crafts and drawing.  It has been amazing watching the development in her over the past year.  Her drawings are taking shape.  They have more organization.  They have identifiable meanings.  It's something she learned on her own, and I love that it evolved without me telling her that she needs to add hands and fingers to her stick people, or that the sky has to be blue (because sometimes it IS purple, and if she had made the world it definitely would have been pink).
 
Someone here called her a "free spirit," and I guess I see what they mean.  But because I know her more intimately, I think of her as a lost spirit.  She has energy that needs to be channeled.  Love that needs to be returned.  Fears that need to be calmed and she craves reassurance.  She has admiration she needs to express, and talents she needs to share.  And although I find it hard as a stay at home mother of 3 to truly focus on the needs of any one child, I see an incredible need, and an incredible possibility to mold her and guide her into a wonderful, loving, sharing, and God-fearing human being. 
 
I recently realized just how much she needs to be heard.  She talks a lot (ok, all the time) and so we find her the easiest to --I hate to say 'ignore' but if I'm honest, that's really what it is.  I pick her up from school talking and I walk out of her bedroom after prayers and a lullaby knowing she's not going to stop taking until I'm out of sight.  She doesn't like sitting in the back of the van, because her brother and sister monopolize the conversation closer to the front.  She interrupts dinner conversation continually with "Excuse me, can I talk?"  She talks loud.  She talks constantly during family movie night. Sometimes other people in the family need to talk too and so we just have to push her mute button.  (I know, my parents are laughing about sweet karma right now.)  But it's been my new mission to really listen to her.  I am trying to carve out time in the day to just let her say all that she needs to say.  I want her to know her thoughts and her words are valuable.  And I am not naive enough to believe she'll then be quiet the rest of the day, but at least she'll know I heard her, and I love being with her.  Because I do.

Setting up her animal parade
Her favorite toy is a collection of Playmobil sets, primarily animals.  She sets them up in scenes and family groups.  She acts out birthday parties with them,  She rescues them from danger.  There is no animal that she doesn't love.  The only thing she really wants to do while we are living in Brazil is visit the Amazon.  Unfortunately, it's not exactly a family destination.  But we're trying to get her as much nature and wildlife as we can while we're here. 

Since we've now been living in Brazil for just over 1 year, here is a reminder of the little one who she was when we left the States, both pictures taken within the first few weeks in her new home.
She was helping me make teething biscuits for H.  Better than playdough!
She'd almost always rather be outside.
Her bedtime prayer last night ended with: "...and thank you God for horses, and cats, and ducks, and dogs, and sheep, and baby sheep, and 1-year-old sheep, and 2-year-old sheep, and lions, and mommy lions, and all the wild animals, and just keep them safe! Amen!"
 
There is no doubt in my mind.  She will change the world some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment