Friday, November 23, 2012

Getting (not too) Messy

It seems to me that finger painting is a rite of passage in toddlerhood.  There is a point in time when the child can be trusted not to taste the paint, but she still feels free enough to get her hands dirty.  This was our first such session.  One afternoon after a nice long nap, while brother and sister were at school, I pulled out the finger paints and special paper I packed in our shipment over 13 months ago....in anticipation of this day.  What a nice opportunity to experience this with her one-on-one.

What I found particularly interesting about this artistic session was that she refused to mix the colors.  She had one hand for green and one hand for yellow.  I tried to show her how to mix them, but she refused.  I tried enticing her with the magic of red + blue = purple, but she was having none of it.  When I added a third color to the mix, she used a pinkie to paint with it, so as to not mix it on her already-paint-covered fingers.

I see another type A in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment