Thursday, November 29, 2012

Google Translate & 6 Year Olds

Honestly, I don't know how people did this without Google Translate.  Have you ever tried it?  If not, click the link.  You just type in English (or whatever other language you want) and choose a language to translate it to.  We use it A L-O-T!  When the kids bring home notes from school...google translate.  When I'm helping D with his homework, google translate.  When DaddyHealy is headed to the hardware store for some home repair project, you guessed it, google translate.  When I need to call the bug sprayer because cockroaches are starting to climb up the kitchen sink drain, big breath, then I use google translate. We use it Portuguese-to-English and English-to-Portuguese.  Common' people, dictionaries are obsolete.  It even has a feature where you can hear how it is pronounced.  D LOVES this feature.  He'll type all kinds of things and translate them into Japanese, Arabic, Greek, Icelandic, whatever catches his attention, then push the "listen" button and crack up at how funny it is to say "My cup is green" in Macedonian.  Isn't technology amazing?

So, just the other day D & I were working through some homework, and I was on google translate to be sure I understood what the questions were asking (even though he told me he already knew and I was wasting my time), when he told me to "snicker-giggle...Google translate 'pelado' Mom. Tee-hee-hee"  Against my better judgment I typed it in, but I needed to know....it means "naked."  Really? Okay, it could be worse, but I was hoping to avoid the giggle-snicker little boy stuff for a few more years.  Ah, the joy of having peers.

1 comment: