Saturday, April 25, 2020

Date Night

After 12-ish years of babies and mayhem, DaddyHealy and I had finally gotten back to monthly date nights for the past couple of years. Sometimes it’s a nice dinner, and sometimes just coffee and budgeting.  We almost never go to a movie, because the opportunity to actually talk to each other uninterrupted is the whole point.

Enter COVID-19, and a home-quarantined family of 7...none of whom ever seem to run out of things to say....which means even less opportunity to talk to each other uninterrupted.

Since being under home quarantine, we’ve been taking daily family walks in order for the kiddos to burn off all their pent up energy.  It’s also helpful for the grown ups to make up a few of those 10000 steps that we’re not getting.  It’s hard to accumulate very many when your office is only 10 steps from the bathroom and 20 steps from the kitchen.

Family exercise is a good habit, and one I hope we continue even after stay at home orders are lifted. However, once in a while, that evening walk is for adults only.  It’s our “date night” during this season.  I’ve always believed that a strong family begins with a strong couple.  I want my kids to see what marriage really looks like.  It’s not perfect, it takes effort, but love is a choice.  And I chose it every day, because I made that commitment, because he’s amazing,  and because there is no one I’d rather be stuck here with.

No comments:

Post a Comment