Monday, April 27, 2020

Shelter-in-Place, continued


Well, it looks like we’re going to be doing this is a bit longer....30 days longer....at least.  Really, I’m okay with that.  Apparently a recent poll showed that a majority of Americans are okay with current stay at home restrictions.  We’re all looking forward to “getting back to normal,” however, most of realize that it is going to be anything but normal.

So, now we’re talking about always wearing masks in public, recreation limited to groups of 2 people, and safe procedures for picking up belongings from schools that remain shuttered.  Not really anything “normal” there.  

But here I sit, looking out the window on a breezy afternoon while 5 kiddos are finding ways to all play together.  They are finding time for each other.  They are imagining, listening, sharing, and breathing lots of fresh air.  At this very hour, under “normal” circumstances, they’d all be sitting in a classroom...maybe doing repetitive work, certainly not enjoying nature, and each other.  Will they be academically behind in the fall? Maybe.  Will their friendships be awkward after such a long break?  Probably.  Do I still believe that being “stuck together” is a gift? Yep.  With my whole heart.  

We keep saying, “When you’re old and telling your grandkids about the COVID 19 pandemic...”  But I wonder, what will they really remember? What will they tell their grandkids?  What are the stories that are going to be passed down in 75 years when elementary school children have to interview an elderly relative about the pandemic.

I hope they say, “We were sad.  We were sometimes afraid.  But we prayed more.  We played more.  We loved more.”

I’ve started interviewing them just to document the fears and joys, the ups and downs of this season of their young lives. Stay tuned.  I plan to share what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment