Monday, April 6, 2020

Quarantween


 For several weeks I had been a little worried about what a birthday under quarantine might look like. As the infection spread and shelter-in-place orders were extended, it became obvious that our darling tween wouldn’t be taking a batch of brownies to school to celebrate turning 12 with her class, or having a sleepover with a bestie to mark the occasion.  About a week before her day, we started talking about what she’d like to do for her birthday, under these most unusual circumstances.  That’s when I realized that I hadn’t needed to worry.  I’d forgotten how incredibly mature she’s become.

A trip to the party store wasn’t on the essential outings list, but she was undaunted. M created her own birthday decorations.  She arranged an amazing island theme with some items we had on hand and a lot of her God-given creativity.  She decorated the house like we’d all taken that island get away that no one can go on these days.

 I’m not sure whether or not the bakery is closed, but we are choosing to only eat food we prepare at home.  Although I offered to make a variety of treats that I knew we had ingredients for, she chose to make her own birthday cake... cinnamon coffee cake according to Grammy’s recipe.  It turned out beautiful, and mighty tasty!  I told her she is getting some good practice for being a mom....decorating and making her own birthday cake.  Ha!

We did our best to make the day seem as special as possible...planning her favorite meals (as much as our grocery stock would allow), wrapping each small gift item separately so it took longer to unwrap everything, being fun and goofy (I’m talking about you, DaddyHealy), and ending it all with a family dance party until waaaay past bedtime. 

M goofing around with DaddyHealy

 Best birthday ever? I doubt it.  One that she’ll never forget?  I’m certain.

Since beginning online learning, she has to keep an electronic journal for Language Arts.  Her entry the next day made me so proud of the amazing young woman she is becoming.  She didn’t write about what was missing from her birthday, what she couldn’t do, or what she didn’t get.  She wrote with such joy and gratitude for the small, intimate celebration with 6 very special people.  She shared the joy of receiving homemade gifts, having celery sticks with peanut butter with dinner, and taking a long walk with Mom and Dad.  I love her for 1,000,001 reasons, but she never ceases to amaze me.  God certainly made her one very special soul!

Starting the day off right with her breakfast of choice!

More goofing with H

The only gift she really wanted is this “Mary of Fatima” dress for her doll.  Thanks Grandma! You rock!








No comments:

Post a Comment