Friday, July 3, 2009

Harvest.....Part 1

I've been getting a lot of grief over not having any post on harvest yet. We've been busy with...well, harvest!
I've been here 3 summers now and it still amazes me how the whole prairie comes alive when the wheat starts to turn. Everyone is on the phone comparing notes, driving around to look at their own fields & everyone else’s, who's cutting, who's not, buzz, buzz, buzz all about harvest. And then, before anyone knows it, the air is filled with wheat dust and the roads are crowded with grain trucks no matter where you go. So, we loaded up and headed north to the Healy homestead, where indeed wheat dust was flying and combines going on what seemed like every acre.
I wish I could tell you if it was a good harvest or not, but I honestly still don't know what is a good yield, a good price, and so on. I do know the combine did not break down and it didn't rain, and those are both definitely good things!
Here's the first of a lot of pictures:

a nice field shot

M's first combine ride

D in grain truck


two helpers take a break

No comments:

Post a Comment