Tuesday, May 26, 2020

A Sweet Cookie

I have to file a complaint.  This quarantine has afforded me about 5 extra pounds, and it’s all thanks to our 9-year-old pastry chef in training.  Every time I turn around, she’s baking something new and irresistible.  I’m not kidding.  It would figure that the avid baker in our house would also be the one who had the least amount of schoolwork, and thus, the most free time.  Now that we are in summer vacation, look out.  

Oreo ice cream pie? Yes, please.


Banana Bread, warm from the oven?  Mmmmm ....


Giant chocolate chip cookie slice? You bet!


Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake? Oh, boy....


Plus doughnuts, raspberry tarts, black bottom cupcakes...and countless other mouth watering treats.

This sweet angel, and her sweet creations make will power really hard to come by.  I love her to death, but if this quarantine continues like this, I’m going to need to buy bigger jeans.

 

She really does want to be a pastry chef when she grows up.  I’d say she’s on a good path to reach that goal.  Since nearly birth, she’s always wanted to help me in the kitchen.  About a year ago, I took a step back and looked on while she did her baking more independently.  I sat near by and double checked, “Does the recipe really say a tablespoon of salt, not a teaspoon?”  These days, I’m not even in the same room.  At the ripe old age of 9, she’s turning into a very skilled baker.  Of course she makes mistakes, don’t we all? But that’s part of the process, learning to salvage a recipe gone wrong.

Before quarantine shut down life as we know it, I ran to the library to pick up some books to keep us entertained at home.  H’s list was almost exclusively cookbooks.  She has used them well.




No comments:

Post a Comment