Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Sisters

It’s a pretty regular occurrence that I say to the girls, “You are so lucky to have sisters.  Even though you don’t appreciate them now, when you grow up you’ll always be there for each other.  You’ll be best friends forever.”

Let’s be honest, sometimes even I don’t believe that. But then...
...then I catch a big sister reading a little sister stacks of books....

Or someone following the example of Jesus, and washing her sister’s feet....


Yes, that really happened, and yes, it was their own idea.


I think it must be hard to be a big sister, with everyone always copying you, or wanting to play with you.

I think it must be tough being a little sister, because you get left out, shut out, and you’re never big enough for anything.

I bet sometimes being in the middle is pretty lonely.



I am sure at some point they have each wished to be an only child.  But recently the “gratitude game” has been a part of daily life, and I’ve seen the fruits.  More than one sister has admitted how lucky they are to have someone to play with.  They think about a classmates who is an only child, who, due to quarantine, cannot have a play date.  They think about the next door neighbor girl, stuck at home with only a “boring brother” who would never play dolls or barbies or grocery store.  Indeed.   They are lucky to have each other.  Today, tomorrow, forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment