Friday, August 7, 2009

What's in a Name?


One of my favorite things about our summer visit to the farm is spending time with my grandma. We make sure to overlap at least part of our visit with hers, as this is the one time a year we see each other. I've always had a very special relationship with my grandmother. I remember picking coffee cans full of blueberries (and eating even more!) on her farm. I remember her homemade slip-n-slide made of giant pieces of plastic on her front lawn. I remember when she taught me how to make a vanilla shake. (I didn't know people could make them at home!) I remember realizing a woman could be a professional when I spent a day with her at her job in a real estate office. I remember having the huge guest bed all to myself when I had sleepovers. As grandmothers do, she took me places that were special, things I didn't do with my own parents. I still have loads of dolls she handmade for me, and more recently quilts. And while those memories are all very fond and important, I want to continue making memories together, and want my children to do so as well, especially M. I want her to know this wonderful, beautiful, strong and talented woman she was named after.


I enjoyed introducing little M to my grandma last summer when she was just a newborn, but this year it means so much more. I love that M has a personality that Grandma can see. I love that they played together and danced together. And I really love that she is looking at my grandma with adoration and pure delight in this shot I managed to capture. I know how you feel, little M. I've felt the same way for 30-some years.

No comments:

Post a Comment