I wanted to make it special, but I didn't have to. That's what he has wonderful & caring teachers for. But I am a tradition girl, so in the name of tradition I set myself up for a first-day-of-school tradition that I may or may not regret in 10 years.......chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast! Depending on how well you know me, this may amaze you. Usually our pancakes are more of the buckwheat variety. Maybe oat bran if I'm feeling generous. Chocolate chips have never found their way into the breakfast mouth of any of my children.....until last week!
Alright, sugared up and sure to sugar-crash right about mid-morning, we got him dressed, did ceremonial pictures, ran to the car, buckled, backed up, pulled back in, brushed his teeth and then set out again! (Ewww at the thought that I almost sent him to his first day of school with morning breath!)
We arrived on time (Bless preschool teachers for having a drop off "window" because they know parents of preschoolers haven't figured out yet how to get out of the door on time!) I wasn't sure how long I'd need to stay at the classroom. Would he be clingy, cry if I tried to leave? Yeah, nothing like that. Too much to do!
And when I came back to pick him up just shy of 3 hrs later? All smiles, but shouting "MOMMY!" over the other kids heads and running out to meet me. Woo Hoo! I'm still #1 in his heart. (smiles and a few teeny tiny tears for me) Though, I had to send him back in 3 times for things he forgot.....his backpack, his craft, and so on.
Tomorrow is day #2 and he couldn't be happier about it. He asked if he'll do all the same things as last time. I think he'll be disappointed if they don't sing "way up high in the apple tree" again. I tried to explain that was "A" week and this is "B" week, but in his mind it's all play and paint, story and song. It doesn't matter what letter week it is!
Chocolate Chip Pancakes....which he thinks we should have every day that he goes to school. But Momma can only stomach it once a year!
My big boy all ready for school
At work within minutes with his teacher and classmate on a puzzle
No comments:
Post a Comment